[Simh] PDP-10 DECtapes

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Mar 28 12:47:37 EDT 2013

On 2013-03-28 13:41, Timothe Litt wrote:
>> I don't know if I'd call the TD8E arcane.
>
> I'll side with Bob on this one.  You would too, if you glance at the
> simh code for emulating it.  Even the imperfect emulation has to deal
> with mechanical timing - acceleration, deceleration and timing marks.
> (Imperfect = linear approximation; speed actually varies as a function
> of position due to the diameter changes as tape goes on and off the
> reels.)  And there are other oddities that software may or may not be
> sensitive to.  Like the fact that you don't just wait for acceleration;
> the tape moves, so the next valid block number over the read head is a
> function of when the tape is up to speed.  For the smart controllers,
> you don't see the block number until up-to-speed.  For the TD8E, I don't
> know.
>
> Dumb hardware doesn't mean that the emulation is easy or simple.
> Sometimes it is; sometimes not.  This is not.

I wasn't arguing that it was easy. In this case the opposite is
definitely true. The TD8E is horrible. I've been saying that a number of
times now. But I wouldn't call it arcane. It's simple.
That is the problem. It is too simple. It essentially exposes more or
less just the electrical interface to the TU56, and that's it.

And that is the unfortunate part, because that means it exposes a very
analog, stupid interface. It is very complex to emulate right, since it
does so little.
Really. A TD8E does almost nothing. It is so simple and cheap it is
ridiculous. The board have very little logic. And it was really cheap.
And easy to design. And easy to manufacture.

It was the super-cheap option for a PDP-8 if you wanted DECtape.

Like I said, it is anything but complex in real life. Emulating it is a
totally different story, for the same reason.

Depending on what you try to emulate, you can afford a few shortcuts.
For OS/8, as well as all other DEC software I know of, you don't need to
emulate the tape acceleration. You can pretend acceleration is
instantaneous. Since all DEC software run the TD8E in polled mode, it is
always just sitting there reading data until the right stuff comes. If
you start feeding data a little earlier from the tape, it don't change
anything.
Software like MULTOS, which actually try to use the TD8E in a
timesharing system on the other hand, is a problem, since it does timing
calculations for the tape to estimate how long before it comes to the
right place, in order to not just do a polling loop all the time (not
fun if you timeshare). However, no DEC software ever supported the TD8E
in anything but just polled I/O.

(Yes, I really dislike the TD8E. And yes, I have a real one.)

	Johnny