[Simh] Why 36-bit computing?

Dave L davel.rss at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 19 17:37:54 EDT 2013

As I recall from way back, wasn't the 36 bit potentially split into 32-bit
data and 4 bit offset to allow fast jump to the next "card" in the deck on a
branch? Not that (m)any implemented this, but I seem to recall this from my
early days back at ADP 30+ years ago. With the advent of fast memory and
disk drives this effectively became unnecessary but mainframe architecture
took a while to adjust.

Dave