[Simh] PIP10 on PDP-8 SIM

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Mar 19 16:27:20 EDT 2013

On 2013-03-19 14:56, Timothe Litt wrote:

> This communication may not represent my employer's views,
> if any, on the matters discussed.
>
> Consider a timesharing system, with 4 users each trying to transfer from
> their own DTA.  With a TC11, you serviced user 1, user, 3, user 4, user
> 2 sequentially.   The controller was tied up for the whole seek for each
> user - potentially from one end of the tape to the other.

Oh. You are talking about overlapped seeks. I thought you meant
something else.

I just checked the TC01 controller (for the PDP-8) and it certainly can
do this too. But you need to programatically time things in this case,
to go back to the drive when you think it is getting close, and start
fiddling. Also checked the TC11, and it too can run several tape units,
as long as you reselect the tape drive when you think you actually want
to start doing any operations. Both can have tapes continue to run in
either direction while doing operations on another tape.
Sounds like exactly the same deal as with the TD10.

The TD8E, which I mentioned being the most stupid controller on earth,
requires this solution all the time, as there is no actual seek, nor is
there any DMA. You either poll the controller all the time, or else you
setup a time interrupt when you think it is appropriate to start polling.
(Of course, OS/8 just polls the darn tape the whole time...)

> The TD10-'s dead reckoning allowed  the seeks to proceed in parallel.
> E.g. we'd start all 4 seeks, allowing the drives to run unsupervised by
> the controller.  When the shortest seek was near completion, the driver
> would tell the controller to pay attention to that drive ('connect'), do
> the transfer, and stop.  Then the next.  Besides being impressive to
> watch (8 drives spinning in various directions), the user request
> latency was reduced.   (Some systems had two controllers, for 16 drives!)

I don't know if any driver for any PDP8 OS, or PDP11 OS ever did
overlapped seeks, but the hardware can definitely do it.
The one OS I can tell about is RSX, and it did not support overlapped
seeks on TC11. (And of course I know OS/8, but the answer there is that
nothing ever did overlapped seeks on anything, since all I/O was polled
anyway.)

> The KA, KI and KL (with the IO Bus adapter) all used the TD10
> controller.  The -6 had another controller - type 551.  I think it was a
> dumb controller, but didn't use it personally.

Ok.

> 129 x 12 = 1548 bits/block; 256 x 18 = 4608 bits/block ; 2 formats. Gory
> details of the TD10 are at

Oh. You just meant the number of bits in a block. Well, you can do any
size you want, just as you can do any number of blocks you want, withing
physical limits, and probably some other restrictions that I can't think
of right now.

> Since PIP10 (the pdp-8 reader for pdp-10 tapes) was the question, the
> format info I provided was for the 10.  TOPS-10.  MAC had another format
> for the -6.  TOPS-20 didn't officially support DECtapes, but internally
> we had systems with them.  They used the PDP-10 format.

Makes sense.
Anyway, yes, PIP10 would parse the format you described, once it
actually manages to read the blocks. That is the tricky detail that
seems to not be working...

> Much of the pdp-10 format documentation is a mixture of octal and
> decimal.  I picked decimal because these days, thinking in octal is a
> (mostly) lost art.

:-)

> IBM and many other vendors used 36-bits, because the (BCD) character
> codes of the day were 6-bits, so it packed nicely.  The -8 was 12 bits
> for the same reason, only it was cheaper to build.

I don't know how much the PDP-8 (or rather, PDP-5) was 12 bits because
of any BCD issues. But it was cheap.

> The PDP-10 supported arbitrary byte sizes (1-36 bits), so 7-bit ascii,
> 8-bit ascii or 9-bit ITS emacs encodings were all easy to deal with.

I know. The PDP-10 is a nice architecture.

> The -11 was designed after 8-bit character codes became popular. EBCDIC
> was (and is) an ugly mess; ASCII cemented 8-bit character codes.  And
> machines were then built as multiples of 8 bits, 8, 16, 32, 64 being the
> most popular.

I can only agree about EBCDIC. ASCII wasn't really 8-bit though. But
7-bit is close enough.

	Johnny