[Simh] Physical serial ports and SIMH

Brian Knittel brian at quarterbyte.com
Wed Jun 26 13:17:47 EDT 2013

Hi Gregg,

This is an interest of mine too, for some personal and some work
projects.

The RPi usees 3.3V logic, so you have to use a level-shifting chip to
use the hardware UARTs with RS-232 or RS-4xx. I've had an RS-232/RPi
interface sitting on the dining room table half put-together for the
last 2 months, so I can't tell you yet how well it works.

Re: the USB to RS-232 interface options (most of which, AFAIK, use the
FTDI chip built into a cable), I have read online accounts of
instability in the Raspbian drivers -- the interfaces work for a few
minutes or hours, and then stop working. If true, that makes them
functionally worthless.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has had this experience, or
has found a USB/RS-232 cable/driver combo that has proven to be stable
on the RPi.

Brian