[Simh] VMS Network device support

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Sat Jun 8 06:19:46 EDT 2013

> The DVNETRTG PAK is included in the Hobbyist license set I got from HP.
I'm glad that DVNETRTG is now in the Hobbyist license.

> I suspect that V4.x didn't require PAKs

IIRC, LMF (PAK licensing) was introduced in VMS V5.  Prior to LMF, it
was the honor system; there was nothing to prevent accidentally
installing a kit on another system. (And you needed a license to get
support, and action taken if you were caught.)  Early VAXes were
expensive enough that people were careful; the honor system worked.  I'm
not sure if LMF came about because DEC had problems as VMS became more
accessible, or because it feared them.

Before LMF, I think DECnet for the local node was standard in VMS;
buying the ability to connect to another machine required a license and
a kit that installed a patch to enable it.  (This scheme allowed decnet
syntax in filenames even for non-networked machines, which was
remarkably useful.)

(LMF was designed/explained not as a license enforcement tool, but as a
tool to help administrators manage licenses.  Sorta like the $0.35 locks
used on cars until recently - remind honest people to stay honest, and
provide evidence of intent when thievery was detected.  LMF was probably
a $1.50 lock by that standard.)
> Perhaps the routing license also enables the WAN devices?
No.  Where the WAN device kit is required, it needed its own PAK. They
may have been split off from VMS in the V5.x timeframe.  I know that
systems running V5.4 require this kit and PAK for sync line support on
the 3900; I have the physical kit (and PAK) for my system.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.