[Simh] Making "Stripped Down" Simulator Builds + Other Queries

Vince Mulhollon vince at mulhollon.com
Sun Jul 7 07:26:38 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove <
captainkirk359 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to create a build of a specific emulator that has been
> stripped or pared down to a specific configuration?

The only other question I was wondering, is would it be possible to,
> subsume a simulator into another program/application?

I think you may be going about this from a "windows" philosophy/development
perspective, where absolutely everything needs to be compiled into one huge
GUI executable because the OS doesn't provide very much..  If you go about
it the unix/linux way life could be much simpler.  For example, you can
create a plain text config file to do all your configuration work, the end
user does not need to manually type in "set cpu 8k" etc etc every time the
simulator is started, and you don't need to recompile the source to default
the CPU to 8k, you merely need to put that line (and many others) in a
config file.  Also for interactive work there are quite a few unix-ish ways
to spawn off a CLI program and control its input and watch its output,
ranging from general purpose languages like Perl to specialized systems
like "expect".  Just saying you might be steering down a more difficult
path than necessary.