[Simh] Making "Stripped Down" Simulator Builds + Other Queries

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 16:38:43 EDT 2013

I've a few questions regarding SIMH.

The first question I have is:
Is it possible to create a build of a specific emulator that has been
stripped or pared down to a specific configuration? E.g. instead of
the full PDP-11 simulator, building just a PDP-11/23 (with FPP, no
CIS), with 256KB of RAM, a pair of RL02's and a quartet of serial
ports (as an example system); or as another example, a PDP-8 with EAE,
4K of core, and a single console teleprinter.

The only other question I was wondering, is would it be possible to,
subsume a simulator into another program/application? While some of
you following this mailing list will probably find the idea silly, but
an idea was put forth among my circle of friends of trying to get a
subset of one of the SIMH simulators (we're still debating whether to
use the VAX, PDP-11 or Z-80 S-100 bus system) as a flight computer for
Kerbal Space Program. (You may commence laughing... now.)

A third question, somewhat applicable to the above, but is there a
place where one can find some documentation/information on adding a
device to one of the simulators? I and my friends find the need to
create an interface akin to the DRV11-J (that's the card with the four
16-bit wide parallel interfaces with handshaking/flow control lines).

Thanks to any and all who will answer,
Christian M. Gauger-Cosgrove