[Simh] VAX and disk device size oddness

Joe Ambrose joeambrose at optonline.net
Fri Feb 15 18:07:10 EST 2013

Lennert,

According to the VAX.DOC page 13.....

"The type options can be used only when a unit is not attached to a file.
RAUSER is a "user specified" disk; the user can specify the size of the disk
in either MB (1000000 bytes) or logical block numbers (LBN's, 512 bytes
each).  The minimum size is 5MB; the maximum size is 2GB without extended
file support, 1TB with extended file support"

I tried it, (I user RAUSER with 2048 as the argument, it works) anything
larger reports ...

VAX simulator V3.9-0

NVR: buffering file in memory

C:\VAX\vax.ini> set rq4 rauser=20480

Unit disabled

C:\VAX\vax.ini> attach rq4 C:\VAX\data\test.dsk

Unit disabled

Joseph Ambrose

172 Ketcham Avenue

Amityville, NY 11701