[Simh] VAX and disk device size oddness

Lennert Van Alboom lennert at vanalboom.org
Fri Feb 15 11:10:31 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 07:45:09AM -0800, Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm wrote:
> > > RAUSER is what you need. I don't think simh even knows of the RA73...
> >
> > I would, but that doesn't give me decent size disks... after some trial & error
> > it seems like I'm hitting the 2GB barrier. RAUSER=2047 works, RAUSER=2048
> > fails. I don't suppose I can work around this on a 32bit host system, or can I?
>
> A 32bit kernel should not be a limiting factor since MANY 32bit OS
> environments have been capable of disk file access to files larger than 2GB
> for a very long time.

Well, I'm actually using raw disk devices mapped to SIMH. So instead of ATTACH
RQ1 /path/to/file, I have ATTACH RQ1 /dev/mapper/bla. But that shouldn't make a
difference - the vax process can write to it, and the RA90 "system" disk works
fine.

> You fail to get specific about what OS you are actually using, since several
> are available which will run on that hardware?

The host is an Apple iBook G4, 1.2GHz PowerPC G4. The host OS is Debian Linux
("testing" aka soon to be stable 7.0, 3.2.0 kernel).
The guest is SIMH's VAX, ka655x, 256MB ram. Guest OS is VMS 7.3 (although that
shouldn't matter, the problem happens before the guest OS).

> Please spell out exactly how you built the simulator you are working with as
> well?

Downloaded the latest stable zip, unpacked, then from the dir:

$ make vax

I checked the docs and they mentioned USE_INT64 and USE_ADDR64, but those
options were already passed to gcc by default.

> If changes need to be made to naturally support your platform, we can readily
> add these to the code base.  Please pickup the latest code from
> https://github.com/simh/simh/archive/master.zip and let me know the answers
> to the above questions and if you still have a problem if you merely:
>

> 	$ mkdir simh
> 	$ cd simh
> 	$ unzip ../master.zip
> 	$ make vax

Just did this - running the "master" vax binary still gives "Invalid argument"
when using RAUSER with a size over 2047M.

Thanks,

Lennert