[Simh] VAX and disk device size oddness

Lennert Van Alboom lennert at vanalboom.org
Fri Feb 15 08:32:04 EST 2013

Hello,

I just started playing with a simh vax again. Built the 3.9 vax binary (on
linux/powerpc), and it works fine.

Odd thing though: I cannot use RAUSER, it seems. I tried the following line:

SET RQ1 RAUSER=20000

Which should result in a 20GB disk. No dice though: simh claims "invalid
parameter". I tried lowering the size to 10000, 5000, ... no difference.

I then tried replacing the RAUSER by RA92, which should be supported and have a
~8GB size. This was accepted. However, from the OS (VMS 7.3), after an
INIT/ERASE the disk reports 2940951 blocks which is somewhat under 1.5GB. The
RQ0 RA90 reports the expected 2376153 blocks or somewhat under 1.2GB.

Now, the host OS is on a PPC G4, which means a 32bit kernel. Is this what is
causing this? If yes, can I work around it? I'd prefer something bigger than
1.5GB :-)

Thanks,

Lennert