[Simh] 4.0.0 Beta socket problem on RaspberryPi/raspbian

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Tue Apr 23 17:24:33 EDT 2013

Thanks for, er,  addressing, this.  (I'm not sure if I intended the pun,
but I guess I'll leave it.)

Note that RFC3484 specifies that getaddrinfo returns addresses in
'success rate' order, with an override (with glibc, that's
/etc/gai.conf).   So code can't assume what address type getaddrinfo
will return first; it can be dynamic.  And simh shouldn't impose a
priority.  Rather, simh should try each address returned by getaddrinfo,
in the order it's returned until one works.  This can be quite a few IP
addresses if a name returns multiple A/AAAA records.  getaddrinfo's
addrinfo struct returns the associated address family with the
sockaddr.   This works for both literal addresses and dns names, so the
code should be simple.

While the string wouldn't have meant much to Mark, it would have saved
me the hassle of first translating the numeric code.  And since ERRNO
values do vary by system, it helps to get the string with error reports.

Yes, windoze doesn't use strerror for sockets; you do something like
WSAGetLastError + FormatMessage to get the error string in that case.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.