[Simh] DECnet for TOPS-10

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Apr 14 08:44:41 EDT 2013

I did some poking around, and found a little information from MRC. I'm
sure more can be found on the net. Too bad he's not with us anymore...

Anyway. Here is what he wrote 8 years ago
(http://alt.sys.pdp10.narkive.com/ceLh26Dc/decnet-for-ks10-tops-20-only):

====
Mark Crispin               8 years ago
Post by Mark Hittinger
 > Phase IV did bring ethernet and extra routing stuff - I am not sure
that the
 > KS-10 could do this because of memory limitations. I remember
something about
 > decnet being moved out of section 0 because of the memory issue.
 > So I'm pretty sure its phase III, end node, compiled into section 0, and
 > using the dmc-11 interface.

I did Phase IV DECnet support for the KS in TOPS-20 4.2 (what? You never
heard of TOPS-20 4.2?).

It was a major squeeze to get it to build in a single section, and that
was just using the KMC11. I also had to reduce the size of the KMC11
packets.

The router support was there, and if a DEUNA driver was written it could
use it; but memory was seriously limited by this.

-- Mark --
====

	Johnny