[Simh] EXT : Questions regarding future simulator development

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Wed Apr 10 20:12:38 EDT 2013

On 10-Apr-13 18:38, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:

> Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
> Barcelona - Catalunya - Europa
>
> El 11/04/2013, a les 0:25, Timothe Litt <litt at ieee.org> va escriure:
>> As for simh; I suggest another escape character, which gives a restricted command prompt, but leaves the simulation running
> Oh no please. When running the simh console inside a screen session accessed via an ssh connection running in a whatever terminal emulation started on a whoknows system the probability of having your escape character being masked/used/nullified by one of the layers is probably near to 1. Specially if your keyboard is not the US variant.
>
> I can't escape into klh10 without a lot of keyboard black magic... for example.
>
> I vote for a separated telnet port for the "hardware console" connection.
It's not that bad.  Certainly not probability 1.

We already have to deal with ^P for the VAX rom code & the simulator
escape (^E).

Set running-escape <key specifier> if the chosen default is a problem.

Or, overload ^E - if the simulation is running, you get the restricted
command line with the simulation running.  To stop the simulation, you
then type 'stop' to the restricted command line, which gets you the
current (full) simh command line .  I actually like this better, except
for the finger retraining that's required for users.

There's no need to require (and secure) another telenet port for this.
Networking is optional in simh.  And what I suggested fits reasonably
easily into the basic simh model.

I was going to mention the security issues with using telnet for
anything - but I've caused enough trouble.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.