[Simh] Questions regarding future simulator development

Matt matt at 9track.net
Wed Apr 10 15:52:22 EDT 2013

On 10/04/2013 17:27, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:
> 1. Some way of interacting with devices while the simulator is still
> running. What I mean would be some way of breaking to the "sim>"
> prompt without halting the simulated CPU. So one could do things like
> swap disk packs, floppy diskettes and magnetic tapes without halting
> the system. Kind of like the way the Hercules emulator let's you
> affect the system on the fly.

My solution to this is to designate one of the serial ports to
communicating with Simh. For example with the VAX simulator running VMS
you could SET HOST/DTE TTn: which would give a sim> prompt and allow you
to type a subset of the Simh commands. The advantage of this approach is
that it does not require any special software to be installed on the
guest system and does not require any additional threads on the host.
It's on my todo list, but I have many other Simh projects in progress at
the moment so it may be a while before I can look at it.

Matt