[Simh] PDP8, Adventure, and SIMH

Rick Murphy simh at rickmurphy.net
Wed Apr 3 21:41:50 EDT 2013

At 07:28 PM 4/3/2013, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>On 2013-04-03 23:39, Rick Murphy wrote:

>>>I know that works for me, but it might be an issue with mark parity
>>>(which all old OS/8 software expects), or it might be an issue with
>>>CCL, which comes in many flavors.
>>
>>There's an OS/8 patch for KBM and CD to allow lower case input. It's
>>"LCSYS.BI" on the Diagnostic RK05 that Rick Moore built which is widely
>>distributed. UCSYS.BI restores the default operation.
>
>I should check that one out. Thanks.
>However, DIR is not a KBM command, but is something done by CCL.
>Unless I'm really confused...

The thing giving you the "." prompt and reading the response is the
Keyboard Monitor. It handles simple commands like "ASSIGN", "DEAS",
"GET", "ODT", "R", "RUN", "SAVE", "START", and hands anything else off
to CCL using the command line that KBM read. User input is uppercased
before it's stashed into the input buffer.

With the patch, you can use lowercase much of the time in OS/8 but lots
of CUSPs aren't lowercase tolerant.
         -Rick