[Simh] SIMH/DECWindows/Debian

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Thu Sep 13 21:41:52 EDT 2012

On 09/12/12 18:14, david.d.miller at att.net wrote:
> But I guess I have to find another list for detailed help.
 > Is there an X-windows/Linux discussion group?  Any other possibilities?

To me - it sounds like step #1 is more understanding X servers/displays
and XDM/XDMCP rather than VMS/Linux/X interop  - so - in this regard:

I'd probably do something like this:

    1) Get XDM+XDMCP working on the Linux host
       probably by using Xnest 1st, and a 'real' display 2nd,
       if you want it. Be sure to Xnest/X -ac (man Xserver)
       and xhost + for ease of testing to start with.
    2) (in parallel, possibly): get VMS / DECWindows working
       using basic DISPLAY variable stuff so you can e.g.
       spawn a DECTerm and have it show up on the linux machine
    3) Then try to stich the two together by having the DEC
       handle XDMCP for the X Display.

There is alot more documentation on the net about getting
Unix XDMCP working, and DECWindows working on VMS,
than both together, despite the fact that it is X windows,
so probably best to study each, until you're an expert enough
to tie them together yourself.

As far as docs, I'd suggest [1], or *maybe* 'legacy'
ltsp docs - LTSP is moving away from 'native' X terminals towards
things like VNC and RDP hosted X sessions, etc, plus the 'gory
details' there are kind of hidden behind the LTSP management layer

As far as communities, if you ask on most of the LUG's or
distribution / user support IRC or mailing list type of
area someone will probably be knowledgeable about X terminal
setups.

Cheers,

- Chris

.. [1] http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XDM-Xterm/index.html