[Simh] SIMH to stage MicroRSTS/E for actual MicroPDP11/53

Mark Abene phiber at phiber.com
Mon Sep 17 23:07:23 EDT 2012

Since my MicroPDP11/53 has no tape drive (and I don't have a floppy
install set for MicroRSTS), I had the idea to install the complete OS
into a SIMH pdp11 instance, and then use Warren Toomey's "vtserver" to
transfer the resulting disk image directly to my PDP over serial
console.  Of course the trick here is to specify a SIMH pdp11 config
that most closely resembles my hardware, as well as choosing the
proper hardware drivers during the RSTS/E sysgen phase.  Everything
went flawlessly, and vtserver transferred my freshly installed
MicroRSTS/E v8.0-6 RD31 disk image to my real RD31 drive.  However,
RSTS refuses to boot on the real hardware, claiming that it can't find
a KW11-L line clock, a fatal error which drops to ODT.  According to
my KDJ11-D motherboard manual, there is in fact "CLK" clock circuitry
at the very same memory-mapped i/o location as a KW11-L, so I'm
puzzled as to the cause of this error.  I figure there are only two
possibilities: the 11/53's CLK isn't KW11-L compatible (which I
doubt), or perhaps something was corrupted during the disk image
transfer over serial, resulting in a misleading but fatal error
message.  I'd be curious to hear anyone's opinions before I reattempt,
as transferring even a 20MB disk image over 38.4kbps serial is quite
slow (write access to the RD31 itself is the bottleneck :)

Regards,
Mark