[Simh] VAX XQ and wireless networking

TJ Merritt simh at tj.merritts.org
Sat Nov 17 18:07:06 EST 2012

The TUN interface will get the packets injected into the system, but
will not get them bridged across the wireless network which uses the MAC
address for managing the wireless network.  Since your MAC address for
the virtual interface is not the same as the mac address for the host,
reply packets over wireless will get dropped.  The trick is to get the
packets to go out with the host's MAC address and replies routed back to
the virtual interface.

VirtualBox does this by sending packets out with the original IP address
but the MAC address of the host, they then record the virtual interface
that the IP address came from, when the reply packet comes back, they
use the IP address to look up the virtual interface associated with that
IP address and route the packet to that interface.  There are special
cases of course for things like broadcast, multicast, and IP addresses
that are shared between multiple VM's.  VirtualBox does not currently
support IPv6 addresses though. This would also not help for DECnet.
This is effectively a layer 3 switching capability that works around the
lack of layer 2 switching in the wireless network.

Another approach would be to setup NAT so that the NAT layer can take
care of the MAC address rewriting.  It will also rewrite the IP address
though.  If this is satisfactory, you there should be plenty of NAT
resources available to you on Mint such that no code writing is
required.

Adding virutal networking support for wireless networks would be a major
undertaking for SimH, but if done, could eliminate most of the hiccups
with virtual networking over wireless networks.

Of course, not of these issues occur over wired netowrks.

-- TJ