[Simh] Slightly OT: Headless SIMH on Raspberry Pi

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 19:18:28 EDT 2012

On 3 Nov 2012, at 22:41, David Brownlee wrote:

> On 3 November 2012 22:15, Rob Jarratt <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> I want to run SIMH on my headless Raspberry Pi, to do so I use putty to
>> connect to the pi and log in. From the shell I can run SIMH just fine. What
>> I would like though is for my session not to disappear if I close putty and
>> to be able to reconnect to the session at some later time, with SIMH still
>> running. I am not really a Unix expert, is there a way to do this?
>
> "screen" http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ or "tmux"
> http://tmux.sourceforge.net/ are two very useful tools for just this
> :)

I use gnu 'screen' extensively on my Rasbperry Pi VAX setups to do just that. Works a charm, and you can detach the session at any time and it will keep buffering.

Right now I recommend this as the best way to run SimH headless and without a need for a perpetual terminal. I'm hoping something better might come along that doesn't require additional software, though.

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo