[Simh] Fwd: Re: RL8A Diagnostic Listings

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Sun May 20 12:09:34 EDT 2012

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: RL8A Diagnostic Listings
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 08:21:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lou <lfernst at alumni.princeton.edu>
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp8
<mddlikpayhp.fsf at panix5.panix.com> <jp6p85$jk$1 at Iltempo.Update.UU.SE>

It works now!!!

I never did find the diagnostic listings, but the problem was not in
the RL8A.

The problem was in the home-made semiconductor memory I had been
using. I had never used it for databreak operations before. It works
now!!

I made a bootable OS/8 RL02 pack last night. the RL2SY.BN handler
works fine, but the non-system handler RL20.BN seems not to work. I
saw a posting here on alt.sys.pdp8 from a few years back from a fellow
trying to build a system on an emulator that encountered the same
problem. I will try RL20AB from the OS/78 V4 distribution (an RL02 non-
system handler) and see if I have better luck.

For all the deficiencies the RL8A may have, I have never seen OS/8 run
faster on my 8/e than it does now!! And units with 4000 blocks of
storage, oh my!!

Lou