[Simh] Bug in pdp11 simulator?

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Fri May 4 12:27:53 EDT 2012

Bob,

Jordi's idle issue is with the released v3.9-0 version.

I'm not a PDP11 user, and I know next to nothing about PDP11 OSes.

Therefore, I really can't address this issue with authority, however I looked at the running system when this happens.

His ini file does the following:

  set pclk enable
  set clk 60
  set pclk 60

Before he boots the clocks look like this:
                    sim> sh clk
                    CLK, 60Hz, address=17777546-17777547, vector=100
                    sim> sh pclk
                    PCLK, address=17772540-17772545, vector=104, 60 Hz
                    sim> b rp0

                    RSTS/E requires a clock, enabling KW11-L at 60Hz.
                    KW11-L doesn't work.

Thinking this looks strange, I hit Ctrl-E

                    Simulation stopped, PC: 062454 (CMP R5,(R0))
                    sim> sh clk
                    CLK, 50Hz, address=17777546-17777547, vector=100
                    sim> sh pclk
                    PCLK, address=17772540-17772545, vector=104, 60 Hz

I don't know what the message means, but the clock rate seems to have changed from 60hz to 50hz.  It would seem that this could cause these two clocks to have strange event timing interactions which could cause the logic in sim_idle to not actually idle....

I have no idea where to go from here.

- Mark