[Simh] Simh and OpenVMS Integrity V8.4 Network Support issues

Matt scope.matthew at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 22 17:37:26 EDT 2012

On 22/03/2012 20:42, Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm wrote:

> Well, I looked into this.  I've got an rx2600 recently acquired cheap on eBay.  I updated the firmware on this system to the latest before installing VMS and doing any testing.
>
> I started with the vms-pcap.zip downloaded from: https://github.com/markpizz/simh/downloads
>
> Everything worked as expected.  No crashes and full Ethernet behavior.
>
> I then took the vms-pcap.zip from http://www.9track.net/simh/pcap
>
> I expected these to be the same since I worked with Matt last year when I picked up his fixes and merged them into the code on github.
>
> They were not the same.  The code from http://www.9track.net/simh/pcap produced the crashes which Maurizio described.
>
> Looking for what was different, I compared the source.  The code on github.com had a version of pcapvcm.c which had comments describing it as Version X-3.  The code from 9track.net had comments describing it as Version X-2.  There was also a difference in snprintf.c which cleaned up compiler warnings on some platforms.  Additionally, there were an extra file in the zip file from github.com called 0readme_pcap-VMS.txt which describes the relative directory structure the pcap-vms code should have with respect to the simh source which references it (via simh's  descrip.mms file).
>
> I'm not sure why Matt's website has the older code in its zip file since I got the code on github from Matt.  The right answer seems to use the code from github.
>
> Meanwhile, I also looked at the libpcap provided with OpenVMS 8.4 TCP/IP 5.7 ECO3.  This libpcap implementation does NOT have pcap_sendpacket, so it won't be useful for simh networking.
>
> - Mark Pizzolato

I know what's happened here. I recently had to move to a new server, due
to disk problems and the website content was restored from the copy on
my local system, which should have been up to date but clearly wasn't. I
think I've uploaded the correct version now (it identifies itself as
X-3). Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Maurizio, does this fix the problems you were seeing?

Matt