[Simh] 3.8-2 rc2 Windows XP disk access issue

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Sat Mar 17 13:42:24 EDT 2012

Villy,

The details that you posted look correct.  But I don't recommend changing
filelist.xml to exclude file types (or directories).  The filelist.xml
mechanism disappears in Vista and above -- and if you do serious work on a
disk, you don't want the VSS copy.  Even if not, on a notebook or older PC,
doubling the write traffic can be painful.  If you move to another system or
provide a copy to someone else, forgetting to update a hidden file is
likely.  And you run the risk (especially with file types) of unintended
consequences -- that is, not getting restore monitoring of something that
you want.

The simplest and best recommendation (which is the one in my previous note)
is "pick a safe extension for disk images".   Fighting the M$ OS isn't worth
the trouble - given the simple work-around of using a file type (extension)
that won't upset the OS.  Since the name of the disk image is only visible
to the simulator (and not the OS/applications running on the simulator), the
scope of the restriction is minimal.

I pointed to FileList.xml as the definitive list of file types to avoid in
XP.  I strongly recommend that it NOT be edited.  Just pick a different type
- simple, quick & safe...

I suppose a windoze-specific check could be placed in the SIMH attach code
to emit a warning if a (writable) disk image that is monitored by system
restore is selected.

But a few lines in the FAQ would probably suffice.  E.g. "Under windows XP
and above, excessive (system-crippling) disk activity can be caused by disk
or tape image files that are monitored by the System Restore facility.  Use
a file type (extension) such as ".simh-disk-image" to avoid this problem.
The list of file types to avoid is in %windir%\system32\restore\Filelist.xml
under Windows XP, and can be found in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa378870(v=vs.85).as
px for later OS versions."

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.