[Simh] Using TAP/TUN

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Tue Mar 6 10:48:45 EST 2012

On Monday, March 05, 2012 a 6:28 PM, Toby Thain wrote:
> On 03/03/12 7:04 PM, Michael Bloom wrote:
> > I just wanted to comment that the instructions for networking in
> > 00readme_ethernet can be simplified for linux.
>
> If only there were some system whereby a person who wanted to change
> the code could somehow send it to a central place, and have everyone
> who accessed the code see the change.
>
> ;-)
>
> --Toby (waits for stuff to be invented)

Ahhh.... But there already is.

The codebase I've been referring to is hosted at https://github.com/markpizz/simh which is a publicly accessible source repository.

If you think you have something useful to contribute you can:
  1 - establish a personal github account
  2 - 'clone' the code from the existing repository into your personal github account.
  3 - 'pull' the code from your personal github account to your working/development environment.
  4 - work on your changes to your heart's content.  Testing, fixing, etc.
  5 - Once you think you have something the community at large might find useful, you can use 'git' to push all of your work to your personal github account.
  6 - You can then create a 'pull' request against the original repository at https://github.com/markpizz/simh
  7 - I'll get that request and consider it for merging, or provide comments back and you can make adjustments and create another pull request.
  8 - You can also announce to the community the existence of your efforts directly.

The above sequence presumes you are using git or willing to learn how to use it.

Alternatively, you can start from the latest code and make your changes and just before you're ready to submit, you can merge your changes into the current code (which may have changed since you started) and then submit the changes to me or the community via eMail.

Have fun and Good Luck.

- Mark Pizzolato