[Simh] Using TAP/TUN

Michael Bloom mabloom at dslextreme.com
Tue Mar 6 08:47:53 EST 2012

I previously sent a reply to the original message (below), but used only
"reply" (oops), not "reply all," so it did not go to the list.

It was too long anyway, but the major jist was that the bridge calls
will not attach a wireless lan card to a bridge, at least under linux
3.0.0 (the successor to linux 2.6.n).  They return EOPNOTSUPP. So some
other means is necessary to gate a simulated network of SIMH systems to
the real world.

Perhaps a sufficient workaround might be for one of the "machines" on
the simulated network to have two NICS, (one of which is just tunnelled
to the host) and do routing on that "machine" between the nic on the
simulated network and the merely tunnelled nic.

As things stand now, however, at least with linux version 3, the
simulated lan seemingly cannot be merged with a wireless lan via bridging.

- Michael