[Simh] Using TAP/TUN

Michael Bloom mabloom at dslextreme.com
Tue Mar 6 07:15:51 EST 2012

I've started looking a little deeper,  and the first thing I found is
this from linux-source/Documentation/networking/tuntap.txt:

    4. What is the difference between TUN driver and TAP driver?
    TUN works with IP frames. TAP works with Ethernet frames.

So it would seem that to get the desired multi-protocol generality, one
would want to use the TAP ioctls not the TUN ioctls that tunctl.c uses.
Meaning to support non IP protocols, the example in 0readme_ethernet.txt
would need to change to use a "tapctl" program rather than the tunctl
program it currently uses (or tunctl could be made into a more generic
tuntapctl program).  Or perhaps it somehow works as desired right now,
in spite of the available documentation.

I downloaded the uml_utilities  source, and unfortunately, the code
contains precious little commenting other than "Licensed under the GPL"
and no documentation.  So figuring it out may take a little time.

There is a "uml_switch" program.  If we're lucky, this may be a network
switch in software.  Unfortunately, it uses the TUN ioctls, so if it is
a switch it would need reworking to use TAP ioctls for it to be an
ethernet switch rather than an IP switch.  If only it were commented, I
could say more at this time.

- Michael