[Simh] 3.8-2 rc2 Windows XP disk access issue

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Sat Mar 17 11:34:19 EDT 2012

Sounds like M$ "system restore".  It monitors files by type (extension) so
you can undo bad drivers/patches.  Turns out that many typical choices for
emulator disk images get monitored - which means XP chases its tail tracking
changes.  It's a losing proposition.

Try changing the file type on your emulated disks - to something it doesn't
monitor.  There are lots of file types that will get you in trouble.  Try
something like .vax-disk-image (e.g. dua0.vax-disk-image).

See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa378870(v=vs.85).as
px for the list (don't edit %windir%\system32\restore\Filelist.xml - just
stay away from all listed file types.)

I think the most common bad choice made by people in the DEC community is
.DSK...

This probably belongs in the simh FAQ...

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.