[Simh] smallest pdp-11 that can run TECO and sockets(*)?

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Fri Jun 29 13:58:51 EDT 2012

In article <4FEDEC05.8050605 at bitsavers.org>,
    Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> writes:

> On 6/29/12 10:48 AM, Richard wrote:
> >
> > In article<303A17BD5F8FA34DA45EEC245271AC0B251BAEAE at JGEX2K10MBX2.wmata.loca
l>,
> >      "Shoppa, Tim"<tshoppa at wmata.com>  writes:
> >
> >> In terms of sweet and small, you want Alan Baldwin's TCP/IP for RT-11
> >> implementation. http://shop-pdp.kent.edu/
> >
> > Wait... 512K of system memory required?  Doesn't sound very small to
> > me for a PDP-11!
>
> A complete TCP stack is a memory hog.
> The ones running on 64k address space micros have almost no buffering.

That's what I figured; I could live with chit-chat over a serial line
for the purposes of this crazy experiment.

The idea is that TECO is used to process a file that contains HTTP
request header and HTTP request body and edits it in-place to replace
it with HTTP response header and HTTP response body.

The communications part isn't the interesting part of this
experiement.  The interesting part is the TECO hack.
     The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
  Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>