[Simh] Virtual VAXen

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Sun Jul 8 17:09:52 EDT 2012

Ah yes, the VVAX option... another attempted graft on the VAX
architecture tree. Unlike vectors, it never got as far as a real
implementation.

The origin of VVAX was not virtualization per se, but rather, the desire
to have a A1-rated secure VMS OS (under the old Federal Trusted Computer
System Evaluation Criteria -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Computer_System_Evaluation_Criteria),
for deployment in national security environments. The security gurus at
DEC determined that a virtualized environment was the most ironclad way
to provide the required security with adequate performance, so VVAX was
proposed.

I believe both Rigel and Aquarius did paper studies of microcode
feasibility. The Rigel microcode includes a VVAX.MIC that reserves the
required code points for later implementation, but there's no other
evidence of any work. As I recall, the VVAX changes slowed down normal
operation a tad. More importantly, there was no room left in the Rigel
microstore for the extra capability.

By the time VVAX was fully defined, Alpha was underway, and the idea was
not pursued.

/Bob