[Simh] smallest pdp-11 that can run TECO and sockets(*)?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Jul 7 16:42:23 EDT 2012

On 2012-07-07 21:07, Richard wrote:

> In article <4FF86D51.8080403 at softjar.se>,
>      Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:
>
>> Anyway, unless the OP actually aim to find a real 11/03, I fail to see
>> the point here.
>
> Well, it so happens that I do have an 11/03, although I wasn't
> thinking of running this little dog-and-pony show on the actual
> hardware.  I was content with emulating a small SIMH configuration in
> order to see just how small I could make it.

So, you are not "small" at all. Why that requirement then? It seems very
pointless. Essentially, all you need is to get it to run under RT-11
with TECO, and it will run on any PDP-11. The only difference will be
speed. And since you're running under simh, you can run as fast as you
want (well, almost anyway), or as slow. What point is there to request
the information about which PDP-11 actually was the slowest?

> I also have a VT180, and an 11/83, but I haven't ever powered up
> either of those.

Won't make a difference either, as your TECO program will be identical.
And so can your RT-11 be.

>> What is left is actually writing the code, something that seems to get
>> much less attention...
>
> That part I can handle on my own and I've already started looking at
> it.  It's really not that difficult, but requires a few advanced TECO
> "tricks" (ER with substituting the contents of a q-register in the
> text of the filename argument).

You don't do it like that. You create the command in the main buffer,
with all the glory you want. You then store it in a q-register, and then
you execute it.

> GET requests are fairly trivial.  PUT is possible.  DELETE I'm not so
> sure about, unless EG is supported in the target environment.  HEAD is
> also a problem because there's no way of getting file attributes
> (modified or created time) directly from TECO.  Again, you might be
> able to hack something together if EG is supported.

Getting file information pretty much is a no-do in TECO, yes. Deleting a
file... Hmm, I don't think there is a command for that either.
EG is not really a good substitute, since it will mean you leave the
TECO environment.

> POST to a TECO macro URL is possible.

Definitely not a problem.

Cookies should not be a problem either.