[Simh] smallest pdp-11 that can run TECO and sockets(*)?

Göran Åhling ahling at eadc.se
Fri Jul 6 03:33:19 EDT 2012

11/21 Falcon board, ie KXT11-{AA|AB|BA|CA}  is a single-board,
"Dual-wide" (to use DEC descriptions counting the number of contact
finger groups on the card-edge) for earlier versions, quad-wide for -CA
PDP-11 CPU board with integrated memory and 2 or 3 serial ports. The
last version could have memory up to 64 kB on-board, slightly earlier
version max 48 kB, the first version 4 kB. "The OEM computer" of those
days - compare it to an ARM or PIC-chip of today. CPU is the T-11 chicp,
ie generation 2 out of 4 integrated generations. Picture of dual-wide
type at: http://www.conticomp.com/item_show.cfm?itemID=157659

BUT: The last fine PDP-11 by DEC was the PDP11-93 CPU. This was built as
a single-card computer, quad-wide Q-bus, integrated memory (2 or 4
MBytes depending on version/price), integrated 8 serial lines,
integrated boot-rom etc. CPU is the J-11, ie generation 4 out of 4
integrated designs.

So, physically, both these are the same, but the later has more of
horsepowers in it's CPU. Both of them would do the job you have
described, the latter would do it eassily...

(All "early" PDP-11:s were built upon MSI logic, so a CPU would need at
least a few cards, each hex-wide size.)

When it comes to the architecture, The PDP11-20 (with oem name PDP11-15)
was first. This one ha the "smallest" architecture, with a minimum of
features. To design the "smallest" PDP-11 emulator, an 11-20 should be
emulated (I think there is an FPGA-code on the net for this CPU). This
one has 16 bits of adress, ie max 64 kB memory.

For OS:es, RT-11 is certainly the "smallest" of those that were offered
by DEC in the later part of the PDP-11 era. RT-11 can run on most system
configurations, using minimum floppy or TU-58 tape drive as secondary
storage.

The TU-58 tape-drive was connected using one serial port. PC-based
emulators of this 1/4" tape drive exists freely today (using PC with
COM-port).

One small system to "copy" in config could possibly be a PDT11-150 or a
VT103 aka PDT11-110 and/or PDT11-130. Actual config of these should be
possible to find online...

As for emulations, this coule of today be run in a system not much
larger than a coin...

More information can be read at:
http://hampage.hu/pdp-11/main.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-11
and at lots of other fine sites through the net.

/Göran