[Simh] smallest pdp-11 that can run TECO and sockets(*)?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jul 4 20:25:09 EDT 2012

On 2012-07-04 21:49, Richard wrote:

> In article <4FF3CDB3.3010803 at dslextreme.com>,
>      Michael Bloom <mabloom at dslextreme.com> writes:
>
>> All you really need is some kind of "box" that runs TECO and has
>> sockets, right?
>
> ...if all I cared about was the TECO part, yeah.
>
> But no, that's not all I care about which is why I've been asking about
> the smallest PDP-11 that could run this setup.
>
> Still haven't gotten a suggestion on a particular PDP-11 HW config.

I'm not totally clear about what "smallest" mean here. Smallest how? The
physcially smallest actual PDP-11? The smallest memory footprint? The
slowest CPU? It's all kindof weird if you're going to run it on an
emulated machine anyway.
Besides, you mentioned before that having a real TCP/IP was not actually
required, and that having another machine do the TCP/IP part, while your
PDP-11 just talked over a serial port would be ok.

So, that essentially means that all you care about is the TECO part.
Have some PDP-11 run an OS, have TECO running on it, and have that whole
thing in simh. Have the console port connected to a telnet server on
port 80, and all you need to write is your TECO code.

	Johnny