[Simh] Serial Console

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 05:20:20 EDT 2012

Woah, hold up a moment. Forgive me if technical ignorance (of which
I've got plenty) prevents me from understanding, but right now the
DZV11 emulation provides a shim into the emulated hardware to provide
telnet access and enough to convince the emulation it's a DZV11 and
that works fine.

My suggestion merely involved swapping (or appending) telnet access
for a serial port access. Surely this can be done while ignoring the
actual hardware functions of a real DZV11? Just use the SimH console
to set the port and baud rate and pass that to the emulation the same
way as the telnet is handled outside of the actual simulation. At some
point you must have raw data coming from the simulation that is spat
out from the emulated DZV11. In effect where the data exits the
simulation put a fork in the road and offer to push it to serial or
telnet.

As I understand it, this would allow it to be setup and handled
outside the constraints of the original DZV11 implementation in a
controlled and easily implemented fashion with certain assumptions or
fixed options offered for the serial interface. Right?

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog
http://twitter.com/MDBenson