[Simh] Serial Console

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Tue Jul 3 22:46:24 EDT 2012

On Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at 13:32, Holger Veit wrote:

> In a former life, I remember having played with some sim_serial.c to
> support glass terminals attached to terminal multiplexers, but somehow
> this got lost, and I didn't find it again in current simh. David,
> hadn't we done something like that in HP2100?

We did, back in 2008.  Actually, we had implemented serial port support for
the HP BACI, MUX, and MPX devices, and the DEC DC and DZ devices under both
Linux and Windows.  That support could be extended generically to any other
device (for any simulated CPU) that used the SIMH multiplexer library
interface.

As to why it never made it into the SIMH code base, I had intended to post
the changes for testing shortly after the release of 3.8-2.  However, that
release, which eventually became 3.9-0, was delayed for a few years.  So
the integration never occurred.

After Mark Pizzolato took over as maintainer, I began working with him to
integrate support into his current git code base, which differed in some
significant ways from the 3.9-0 base.  Our last exchange was on May 12th,
but I haven't had time to get back to that project in the interim.

In short, the work is still active (if paused), and the goal is to support
serial connections across multiple simulated systems and multiple host
platforms.

                                      -- Dave