[Simh] Serial Console

Holger Veit holger.veit at iais.fraunhofer.de
Tue Jul 3 13:27:28 EDT 2012

Am 03.07.2012 18:58, schrieb Peter Svensson:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2012, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>
>> What about other solutions? I haven't used the simulated DZ up to now,
>> but if I get it, it maps the serial ports to (telnet'able) IP/Port
>> network sockets, right?
>>
>> If so, why not simply write a little program to configure the serial
>> port and splice it to the network socket? Or a small script using
>> `stty' and `nc'?
> Baud rate changes, modem control lines and so on. Break handling.
Device names, Baudrate setting, and modem is no issue in Unix and
Windows (don't know about VMS),
but break handling; basically any out-of-band processing is difficult to
impossible (but this hasn't been handled properly for TCP/IP sockets for
MUX either).

A software adaptor to convert between serial and telnet is IMHO a kludge
which just says "the simh developers can't
to it right themselves" (stty/nc as a script is even less portable).

--
Holger