[Simh] Segmentation fault when running the MIcrovax emulator

Nathan Cutler presnypreklad at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 05:04:30 EST 2012

Brian:

Going out on a limb here, my intuition is telling me that if you
remove the "attach xq0 ethX" line in your vax.ini file, the Simh will
start normally.

Are you running Simh as root? On my system, at least, I have to run it
as root. According to Wherry this is due to the Simh ethernet code
needing to put the NIC into promiscuous mode.

When I try to run Simh as a normal user, I don't get a segfault. I get:

./vax.ini> attach xq0 eth1
File open error

You're system may be configured differently than mine, however,
resulting in a segfault at the same place.

By the way, do you have a dedicated NIC for the Simh or are you doing
the TUN/TAP thing?

Nathan