[Simh] Segmentation fault when running the MIcrovax emulator

brian brian at meadows.pair.com
Fri Jan 6 18:55:48 EST 2012

Returning to SIMH for the first time in quite a while, I decided to
set things up from scratch again, mainly because I can't remember what
I did previously. :)

I'm using Linux Mint 9 64-bit (based on Ubuntu 10.04). I did
previously have the Microvax emulator working, but it was under either
Windows XP or some 32-bit version of Mandriva, can't remember which.

Anyway, I downloaded, unpacked and compiled the latest sources, which
seemed to go OK, no errors as far as I could see. I've been following
Phil Wherry's instructions, so I started out with the following as my
vax.ini  (please assume all the paths are correct, I've checked and
double-checked them, and there's a link to vax.ini from the directory
with the compiled program)

load -r /home/brian/vax/data/ka655x.bin
attach nvr /home/brian/vax/data/nvram.bin
set cpu 512m
set rq0 ra92
set rq1 ra92
set rq2 ra92
set rq3 cdrom
attach rq0 /home/brian/vax/data/da0.dsk
attach rq1 /home/brian/vax/data/da1.dsk
attach rq2 /home/brian/vax/data/da2.dsk
attach -r rq3 /home/brian/vax/data/vms073.ISO
set xq mac=00-1C-25-EA-22-09
attach xq eth0
set cpu conhalt
boot cpu
exit

Running the program (as root) produced the following output

VAX simulator V3.8-1
NVR: creating new file
NVR: buffering file in memory
RQ: unit is read only
Segmentation fault

The three files for the disks were all created and of zero length.

Looking in my old setup, I saw that when I had a CD image attached, I
had the CD device defined as an rrd40, so I gave that a try, deleting
the three files and nvram.bin. Nope, same results.

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but it's been almost 30 years
since I used VMS for real, and my C programming is non-existent.

Can someone try to point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Brian.