[Simh] Basic questions

david.d.miller at att.net david.d.miller at att.net
Thu Aug 30 23:20:08 EDT 2012

Folks

My questions are so basic that there must be a FAQ someplace that would answer them.  But I can't find one.

To get started.  I have managed to get the SimH VAX simulator running on Linux (Ubuntu 11.04).  I am totally impressed and offer my thanks to the team that did the good work.

Now I'm attempting to import Licenses from Ubuntu.  I "select all" and "cut" from gedit and then "paste" into the GNOME terminal where I have started COPY TT: LICENSE.COM.  But all kinds of unprintable characters are inserted into LICENSE.COM so that the COM file can't be executed.  Obviously the wrong thing to do.  Suggestions?

My second question is a bit more general.  After I get the licenses loaded I want to install TCP/IP .. it's part of the .iso file I got from HP.  But how do I set up SimH?  I've Googled a lot and there seems to be several approaches that have been developed over the years.  I can't figure out what's current.  Primarily I'm looking for a way to get data into VAX, COMs, ZIPs and EXEs.  I'd forgotten that VMS takes a lot of customizing to run smoothly.

And that question leads to DECNet.  Does DECNet provide an easier way of getting data in and out of VAX?

Someday I'd like to see how Motif works, but that is future excitement.  I've seen very little comments on the net.

Thanks, David.