[Simh] Extended SimH on BeagleBone controls real blinkenlight panels

Armistead, Jason Jason.Armistead at otis.com
Mon Apr 23 10:41:34 EDT 2012

Jörg Hoppe wrote:

>A BeagleBone with our "BlinkenCape" serves well as "serial-to-telnet" converter.
>BlinkenCape has 4 serial ports, over which you can log in to Angstrom-Linux on the BeagleBone.
>So
>
>1. You connect your historic equipment (VT100, ASR) to one of the 4 serial UARTs,
>2. get the Linux prompt
>3. connect to one of SimHs user terminal via telnet
>4. then you have your serial device connected over a telnet tunnel to one of SimH's user serial ports
>
>Feeling is much the way a LAT server works.
>But you can access any simulated machine this way, not LAT serving PDP-11's and VAXes.

Has anyone thought about simulating/emulating one of the old DECserver LAT terminal servers ?  I half expected that with MAME/MESS already having 68000 CPU emulation, this might not be beyond the realms of possibility, and might be implementable on a BeagleBone or a "plug" computer with USB-to-RS232 ports added as needed.

Jason