[Simh] Alpha simulator performance

David Holland david.w.holland at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 10:36:24 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Sergey Oboguev <oboguev at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> While we're in "wish list" mode, I'd like to see SimH emulate Alpha or Itanium,
>>
>>so I could use it to run  newer versions of OpenVMS than 7.3. There are free
>>versions of commercial Alpha emulators available, but they only run on Windows
>>(BLEAH) and their performance is intentionally limited, presumably to get people

SRI/Stromasys has Charon-AXP It runs under Linux, IIRC, they've even a
VMWare appliance, but it isn't much more than a Linux + Charon build.

They've a non-commercial version here:

http://www.stromasys.ch/virtualization-solutions/virtual-alpha-on-windows/download-charon-axp-nce/

Unfortunately, each build has built in expiration dates, and run limit
timers.   So its really only good for
experimental purposes, since its my impression the commercial version
is very expensive.

It did run AXP OpenVMS 8.4 when I last dinked with it. (albeit sometime ago.)

<snip>

> people who extoll VMS and simultaneously "bleah" about "Windoze", which after
> all at its foundations is to a significant extent a clean and neat
> reimplementation of

Not to beat the dead horse too much.....(No! Really! I saw it twitch!)

IMO, its not so much the kernel, its the administration tools.     You
can admin a VMS (and Linux) system from a command line.    Windows,
not so much.    (Though it is my understanding this is getting better
with recent Windows releases via PowerShell)

David