[Simh] Alpha simulator performance

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.de
Fri Apr 20 21:58:23 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 09:01:11PM -0400, Dan Gahlinger wrote:

> NT is not VMS or a reimplementation of it.

Well, it isn't straight VMS - but definitely based on VMS. I remember
being in university and working my way through a VMS internals book (out
of interest) and a short while later going through a lecture about modern
OS internals which was based on Windows NT (IIRC 3.51 or so). Woah, that
certainly was full of déjà vu moments "wait, this is just like in VMS,
but with some of the serial numbers filed off".

Given that Cutler was the core architect on both, that isn't exactly
surprising. Even though some of the later silly ideas (putting the entire
GUI subsystem into kernel mode to speed up graphics) were not his fault.

Kind regards,
            Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison