[Simh] Odd Simh networking issue...

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Fri Apr 13 05:46:11 EDT 2012

On 04/12/2012 12:18 PM, Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Mike Hebel wrote:
>
>> hobbyist install image.
>>
>> The duplicate packet errors happen on the native Tulip interfaces but if I
>> switch to a PCI card I don't get DUP!s just drops.  And it seems that it doesn't
>> matter what kernel I use for NetBSD either.
> What gives you the impression that there are duplicate packets?  Is something (The NetBSD code, the VMS IP stack, simh network layer) saying there are duplicate packets?  How are the "drops" you are mentioning indicated?  Is it  merely by network traffic (ftp, telnet) not succeeding or something else?

Well my first clue is that if simh is running on the primary shared
interface and I ping it from somewhere else I get DUP! packet errors.
As for the other question it's all traffic coming from simh that's the
issue.  Sometimes telnet succeeds (to VMS or from VMS makes no
difference) and things like ftp have to be retried multiple times for
even tiny files.

>> I built simh with a link to the dynamic pcap libraries as NetBSD doesn't seem
>> to have a static library link for that.  At least not on my installation anyway.
> What simh code are you running with?
>
> Simh's network code has been revised significantly in the code which is about to be released.  You can pickup the v3.9-0-rc2 codebase at: https://github.com/markpizz/simh/downloads.  Download the simh-v3.9-0-rc2.zip available on that page and unpacking with 'unzip -a simh-v3.9-0-rc2.zip'.
>
> The makefile should just work and build a vax simulator with network support: make vax
>
> Once you're working with the latest code we can explore the behaviors you're seeing.

This is 3.8-1 so yeah maybe 3.9-0-rc2 would help.

--
Mike

If I wanted to create a universe from scratch
I guess I should have ordered the apple pie.