[Simh] Odd Simh networking issue...

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Apr 11 23:31:12 EDT 2012

First - new to the list.  Joined after creating the following weird
object...  ;-)

I currently have a Cobalt Qube2 with 256M running NetBSD 4.0 with a
custom kernel.  On that machine I'm running VMS 7.3 using the custom
ka655x.bin firmware that allows VMS to see more than 64M of ram.  (I
have it recognizing 128M.)

And yes...it's super slow on that system I just kind of wanted to know
if it could be done.

That's not my problem though.  The issue is that I'm getting duplicate
packets on that system and packet loss when I ping the system.  I can't
really telnet into it (it works...sometimes) and I definitely can't ftp
anything onto the Vax instance itself.  Using teh standard TCP/IP
instance that comes with the 7.3 hobbyist install image.

The duplicate packet errors happen on the native Tulip interfaces but if
I switch to a PCI card I don't get DUP!s just drops.  And it seems that
it doesn't matter what kernel I use for NetBSD either.

I built simh with a link to the dynamic pcap libraries as NetBSD doesn't
seem to have a static library link for that.  At least not on my
installation anyway.

Thinking of doing this all again with a fresh load of NetBSD as I have
several Cobalt boxes available.

Any suggestions? (0)

--
Mike
(0) "You're insane!" is not a helpful suggestion. ^_^

If I wanted to create a universe from scratch
I guess I should have ordered the apple pie.