[Simh] Reading VMS Backup tapes on Linux

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Apr 5 21:03:08 EDT 2012

Well, for those NOT running VMS in simulation, but wanting
to get at some archival programs, I finally figured out how to
make vmsbackup work.  First, you need to extract the backup
save set from the tape container file, so it is just a stream of
bytes, without the block size and file mark information.
In other words, just the bytes from the data blocks, all strung
together.  I already had a program that did this for cr/lf
ASCII files.

Then, the command is :
vmsbackup -xe -b 8192 -f <filename>
where the 8192 is the blocksize of the saveset file on the tape.

Jon