[Simh] SimH VAX/VMS autoshutdown

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 4 09:23:58 EDT 2012

A few years back, I modified SimH to support auto shutdown of VMS when the hostg system (Windows) was shutting down (and under a few other conditions).

This required some registry changes to ensure that windows waited long enough for VMS to shutdown. The shutdown mechanism was rather crude - the Card Reader had a job deck in it that shutdown VMS.  A change was made to the console program to trap the appropiate windows events.  When one of these events was triggered, the CR was reset and the code snippet would go into a tight loop waiting for a flag that indicated control had been returned to the console, at which time the task was terminated.

I think that it would also be nice to have something similar coded that would work for *IX.  Perhaps there is a better way to managed the process other than using the card reader..

Anyway, if anyone is willing to do what is necessary to migrate this code into the general distribution, I would be more than willing to send them what I have - in the way of code & documentation..

Villy