[Simh] SIMH as a Service

Marc Chametzky marc at bluevine.net
Mon Sep 5 18:07:16 EDT 2011

> I would like to auto-run SimH VAX at startup in Ubuntu Linux 10.04. Is there a way to make it a service I can (re)start as required? I will probably set the output from the master console to an alternate console tty area in the config.
>
> What's the best way to do this, I have no clue and a quick Google turns up very little :)

I cannot comment on the best way to do it as I'm far from a Linux
expert, but I have an /etc/init.d script that I cobbled together (based
on a different one where I just copied-and-pasted the reference to
start-vax) on my Ubuntu system.

The attached vax.init.d goes in as /etc/init.d/vax and then linked to these:
	/etc/rc1.d/K10vax
	/etc/rc2.d/S91vax
	/etc/rc3.d/S91vax
	/etc/rc4.d/S91vax
	/etc/rc5.d/S91vax

These might not be entirely correct. As I said, I just cobbled it
together. It does seem to work for my basic needs, though.

The start-vax script basically runs the vax binary inside screen so I
can attach to the console later on if I need.

Anyway, that's what I'm using. Feel free to take it and improve on it to
fit your needs. :-)

--Marc