[Simh] 'Building' a PDP-11

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Sat Oct 15 15:44:31 EDT 2011

The recent RSX-11M+ "Baseline" (BL) monitors that come with the distribution will boot just fine on very simple configurations, e.g. 11/73 with 4 MB memory and a couple RQ-type hard disk images and will do just fine with TMSCP type emulation (e.g. TK50). All except the very earliest 11M+ MSCP drivers are sane and will talk to good sized disk image. Only the very latest 11M+'s will talk to 4gigabyte+ disks though. Moving stuff in and out via disk and tape images is pretty ideal IMHO.

If you want to do something like add additional RQ controllers in a SYSGEN that works. Baseline comes supporting 4 disks on one controller which might have been a little limiting with real RA80's or RD54's but with virtual disks you just make them bigger.

Adding DECNET... assuming you mean Ethernet. Been a while since I did that. But I bet it'll come back to me if you show me any problems :-)

e.g.

shoppa at shoppa-desktop:~/simh$ ./BIN/pdp11

PDP-11 simulator V3.8-0
sim> set cpu 4096k
Disabling CR
Disabling RK
Disabling HK
Disabling TM
sim> show cpu
CPU, 11/73, NOCIS, idle disabled, autoconfiguration on, 4088KB
sim> att rq0 rsx11mpbl87.dsk
sim> boot rq0
RSX-11M-PLUS V4.6  BL87   2044.KW  System:"RSXMPL"
>RED DU:=SY:
>RED DU:=LB:
>RED DU:=SP:
>MOU DU0:"RSX11MPBL87"
>@DU:[1,2]STARTUP
>; 			PLEASE NOTE
>;
>;	If you have not yet read the system release notes, please do so
>;	now before attempting to perform a SYSGEN or to utilize the new
>;	features of this system.
>;
>* Please enter time and date (HH:MM DD-MMM-YYYY) [S]: 15:33 15-oct-2011
>TIME 15:33 15-oct-2011
>ACS SY:/BLKS=1024.
>CON ONLINE ALL
>ELI /LOG/LIM
>CLI /INIT=DCL/CTRLC/DPR="<15><12>/$ /"
>INS LB:[1,1]RMSRESAB.TSK/RON=YES/PAR=GEN
>INS LB:[1,1]RMSLBL.TSK/RON=YES/PAR=GEN
>INS LB:[1,1]RMSLBM.TSK/RON=YES/PAR=GEN
>INS $QMGCLI
>INS $QMGCLI/TASK=...PRI
>INS $QMGCLI/TASK=...SUB
>QUE /START:QMG
>INS $QMGPRT/TASK=PRT.../SLV=NO
>QUE LP0:/CR/NM
>START/ACCOUNTING
>CON ESTAT LP0:
>QUE BAP0:/BATCH
>QUE BAP0:/AS:BATCH
>@ <EOF>
>sho dev
VF0:	 Offline Loaded Type=unknown
VF1:	 Offline Loaded Type=unknown
CO0:	 TT0: Loaded
TT0:	 [200,200]   [200,200] - Logged in  Loaded
TT1:	 Offline Loaded
VT0:	 Loaded
VT1:	 Loaded
RD0:	 Loaded
DL0:	 Loaded Type=RL01
	 Seek_Optimization=Nearest:10.

DL1:	 Loaded Type=RL01
	 Seek_Optimization=Nearest:10.

DU0:	 Public Mounted Loaded Label=RSX11MPBL87 Type=RD54
DU1:	 Loaded Type=RD54
DU2:	 Loaded Type=RD54
DU3:	 Loaded Type=RX50
MU0:	 Loaded Type=TK50