[Simh] OT: VMS licensing

Bruce Claremont Bruce.Claremont at MigrationSpecialties.com
Fri Oct 7 14:41:47 EDT 2011

Used licenses for commercial purposes can be purchased.  You'll find them on places like eBay and via third party resellers.  We buy ours through Len Whitwer at PSDS (www.psds.com).  I don't know how far back you can get licenses.

At 10:57 AM 10/7/2011, Tim Newsham wrote:
>Off-Topic but this seems like a good pool of people to ask.
>I hope its acceptable use.
>
>I'm looking for information on licensing VAX/VMS.
>Would it be possible to get a legal license to VMS 5.3?
>Are licenses tied to a particular machine or a particular
>time frame?  If someone was selling an old VAX that
>ran VMS 5.3, would the license still be valid for that machine
>today?  Would it still be valid after the sale?
>Would it be transferable to other hardware or even a simulator?
>
>--
>Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com

Mr. Bruce Claremont, Software Preservationist
Migration Specialties International, Inc.
217 West 2nd Street, Florence, CO   81226-1403
Bruce.Claremont at MigrationSpecialties.com
www.MigrationSpecialties.com
+1 719-784-9196, Fax: +1 888-854-3417

Continuity in Computing:  Founded in 1992, Migration Specialties offers modern solutions for legacy hardware & software.  Look to us for VAX, Alpha, HP1000, PDP-11, and DG Nova & Eclipse replacement options.  Visit our web site for more information.