[Simh] Ethernet Bridge and living on the same LAN.

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 16:16:46 EST 2011

Hi,

I have bootstrapped my latest evil project. I have a Cobalt Qube2 running NetBSD/cobalt and SimH!
It's not very fast and it took a long time to compile but it works like a charm :)

The Qube2 has a nice feature of having twin DEC 21134 10/100 ethernet adapters. This is great as
I can assign one to SimH and leave the other one for TCP/IP on the native box. The purpose of this
as many will know is to avoid the issue of the host not talking to it's own emulator.

One thing that was previously suggested was that I bridge the ethernet ports on the box to allow
them to talk to each other. I don't seem to be able to do this if they are on the sam LAN though
as the LAN goes nuts because the traffic goes round in a big loop, and eventually the whole LAN
basically crashes.

Is there any way anyone knows to create an internal-only bridge? Is it even required if both
interfaces are on a LAN with a router?

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info