[Simh] VAXstation 2000

Matt scope.matthew at btinternet.com
Fri May 27 13:33:17 EDT 2011

On 27/05/2011 15:04, Michael Kerpan wrote:
> Using this as a template, I was able to create an RD-54 image that
> boots on the VAXstation emulator. Sadly, the image seems to still
> think it's running on a 3900, as there's some console type confusion
> (No EDIT/TPU makes me sad and unable to edit files since I've never
> been able to wrap my head around line editors) AND the darn thing's
> not finding the graphics hardware when I try to start DECWindows (I
> haven't been able to test VWS as the version on my 5.4-era condist
> needs a PAK, which the hobbyist program doesn't provide.)
>
> Are there some AUTOGEN settings that should get the system to re-read
> itself and start IDing correctly or do I have to learn linemode EDIT
> and fix some files?
>
> Mike

What is the output of SHOW LICENSE/CHARGE at the DCL prompt? It should
show the correct system type.

The text based video console does not provide any VT emulation, which
makes it quite difficult to edit files. This 'issue' is still present
even in OpenVMS 8.4 on IA64!

You need the system parameter WINDOW_SYSTEM to 1 in order to load the
DECwindows graphics driver (GCBDRIVER). If you set this parameter to 2
it will load the VWS driver (VCDRIVER).
You can set this parameter from SYSBOOT:

>>> BOOT/R5:1 DUA0

SYSBOOT> SET WINDOW_SYSTEM 1

SYSBOOT> CONT

Once you get up and running you can then add this to MODPARAMS.DAT for
future autogens.

One thing I should have pointed out about DECwindows is that you may
need to disable mouse acceleration otherwise you will get Windows
acceleration added to DECwindows acceleration and the mouse will be
quite difficult to control.

Matt